Director Curriculum and Instruction
All students in the Beachwood City School District that meet the written criteria for a gifted service are provided with an equal opportunity to receive that service. All buildings and grade levels in the Beachwood City School District apply service placement criteria consistently. District gifted services are accessible to all gifted students who meet the placement eligibility criteria.
The Beachwood City School District Board of Education follows the identification eligibility criteria as specified in Section 3324.03 of the Ohio Revised Code and the Operating Standards for Identifying and Serving Gifted Students. Annually, children who are gifted are identified by professionally qualified persons using a variety of assessment procedures. Children in grades K-12 may be gifted in one or more of the following areas:
- Superior Cognitive Ability
- Specific Academic Ability
- Creative Thinking Ability
- Visual or Performing Arts Ability
The Beachwood City School District provides at least two opportunities a year for assessment in the case of children requesting assessment or recommended for assessment by teachers or parents. The District only uses assessment instruments for screening, assessment and identification that are approved by the Ohio Department of Education as provided in the Chart of Approved Assessment Instruments for Gifted Screening and Identification.
The Beachwood City School District provides the following gifted services:
- Gifted Clusters for Grades 4 thru 8: All children in grades 4-8 who have met the criteria of cognitively gifted on a state approved test are eligible to receive differentiated instruction in a gifted cluster. A gifted cluster is defined by the Ohio Department of Education as a small group of gifted students deliberately scheduled together in a classroom. Licensed gifted intervention specialists support the students through direct instruction. The students receive daily instruction during their Science and their English Language Arts classes.
- Early Entrance to Kindergarten: The practice of admitting a student to kindergarten who has not yet reached the typical age at which students are admitted to kindergarten for the purpose of providing access to appropriately challenging learning opportunities. (See application form and resources below).
- Whole Grade-Acceleration Services for All Students K-12: The practice of assigning a student to a higher grade level than is typical given the student’s age on a full-time basis for the purpose of providing access to appropriately challenging learning opportunities.
- Individual Subject Acceleration: The practice of assigning a student to a higher grade level than is typical given the student’s age for the purpose of providing access to appropriately challenging learning opportunities in one or more subject areas.
- Early Graduation Services: The practice of facilitating completion of the high school program in fewer than four years for the purpose of providing earlier than typical access to post-secondary educational opportunities.
District Plan for the Identification of and Services for Students
Promotion, Academic Acceleration, Placement, and Acceleration Policy
Beachwood Assessment Instruments Used for Gifted Identification
Referral for Gifted Assessment (Form)
Entrance Requirement Policy
Application for Early Entrance (Form)
Ohio Department of Education-
Ohio Operating Standards for Identifying and Serving Gifted Students
Approved Assessment Instruments for Gifted Services and Identification