Bryden Elementary School
School Day: 7:40 am - 2:25 pm
- To develop intellectual entrepreneurs with a social conscience.
- To develop the social, academic, and creative skills necessary for children to be successful in a school environment
- Active engagement, building self-competency, and learning by exploration.
- Comprehensive early literacy development, including reading, writing and enriched vocabulary, and application of foundational math skills and rigorous problem solving.
- To develop strong home-school connections and independent learners.
- To learn about and celebrate the diverse cultures that make up our Bryden family.
Literacy, math, social studies, and science concepts are woven into the kindergarten curriculum throughout the school day. Typically, there is a 20- minute calendar time each morning, daily journaling, two or more read-aloud sessions, literacy and math centers.
GRADES 1 & 2
SPECIAL CLASSES (all taught by certified specialists)
- Reading: 1 hour of direct instruction per day in small group setting. Additional language arts experiences are provided in homeroom settings throughout the week on a daily basis.
- Writing: 20-35 minutes per day of journaling/ formal writing instruction.
- Math: Minimum of 60 minutes per day of direct instruction/ math centers.
- Science: 35-minute lessons, twice per week in dedicated science Resource Lab.
- Social Studies: 30-minute lessons, 2 or 3 times per week; Concepts are often integrated into other subject areas.
- Physical Education: 60-minute period once per week.
- Music: 60-minute periods once per week in the dedicated music room.
- Art: 60-minute period once per week in the Art lab.
- Library & Technology: 60-minute period, once to twice per week.
- Enrichment is offered in every class at every grade level one day a week with Mrs. Margulies.
- Book Club: Meets during lunch
- Chess Club: Meets weekly after school
- Lego Club: Meets weekly after school
- World Language Program: Spanish class meets once per week after school
FAMILY AND COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
- Philanthropy and Spirit Committee: monthly activities to engage our Bryden family in learning about and participating in community based philanthropy and school based spirit activities. Philanthropic and Educational partners include: Ronald McDonald House, Pennies for Patients and the Anti-Defamation League.
- Featured Fridays: every Friday afternoons between October and April, celebrating the rich family heritage and multiculturalism of our Bryden families.
- Read Aloud: family members read weekly with Bryden students in classroom based settings.
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Pathology
- Speech Education Intervention
- School Psychology
- English as a Second Language
- Adaptive Physical Education