Beachwood Middle School -- honored by the Ohio Department of
Education as a one of the top 10 middle schools in Ohio -- houses the
Beachwood School District’s sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students.
With an enrollment of 325 students and a certificated staff of 40,
BMS provides a comprehensive model middle school program. BMS is
committed to providing a quality educational experience designed to meet
the unique needs of middle school students in an atmosphere of
respect for individual differences in learning style, interest and
What makes an education at Beachwood Middle School special? Many
things. Some are obvious, like the warm, welcoming feeling you get
when you enter our front doors. You'll see a joy of learning and kids
actively engaged in their classes. You can sense the respect that exists
between and among students, teachers, administrators and support
Why is BMS considered a model middle school? Here are some of the reasons:
- State-of-the-art technology; a laptop computer for
every seventh and eighth grade student and teacher; TechTown; and
free Internet/Intranet service for all students and staff.
- Model programs
for both Gifted/Talented Students and Special Education Students,
including a continuum of services and specially certified resource
- An inquiry-based science program incorporating Project 2061 and Project Discovery.
- World-class math instruction evolving from the TIMSS report, national math standards, and best practice research.
comprehensive unified arts program including exploratory activities in
woodworking, video production, photography, cooking, sewing, technology
and the fine arts.
- An immersion model foreign language program offering students their choice of three language classes that meet daily.
- A true team concept where
faculty members meet daily during a common planning period on
interdisciplinary grade level teams. This model of shared
decision-making includes team-based discipline, interdisciplinary units,
student and parent conferences, and both short- and long-term
- An athletic program consisting of 17 sports.
advisory program where students meet with faculty advisors in small
groups to discuss issues pertinent to middle school and engage in
community service projects.
diversity training program for all students and staff facilitated by
the The Diversity Center, formerly National Conference of Community
and Justice (NCCJ).
Built in 2003, Beachwood Middle School is a state-of-the-art structure of 98,000 square feet. It has many outstanding
- A 300-seat theater with full stage, lighting, sound system and dressing rooms.
- A full-size gymnasium with bleacher
seating for 350 people. It can accommodate two basketball courts or
three volleyball courts.
- A wireless computer network that facilitates Ohio’s first "one-to-one" wireless laptop program for students and teachers.
- Unified arts areas for instruction in
cooking, sewing, fine arts, woodshop, technology, TV production,
photography and ceramics.
- An indoor commons area and an outdoor courtyard in the center of the building.
- Spacious classrooms.
- Hands-on science labs.
- A large, centrally-located media center.
- Team meeting rooms for staff collaboration.
- Acoustically designed instrumental and vocal music classrooms and practice rooms.
Beachwood Middle School has a proud tradition of excellence, including state and national recognition:
- In 1991, BMS was named the Ohio "Hall-of-Fame" Middle School.
- In 1993, BMS was named a "U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon School of Excellence."
- In 1999, BMS received the Harvard Business School Club’s "Excellence in School Management" Award.
- In 2000, BMS became the only Ohio middle school to receive a second U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Award.
- In 2004, BMS was named a “National 21st Century School of
Distinction for Technology Excellence” by the Blue Ribbon Schools of
- In 2007, Beachwood Middle School was one of two schools in Ohio
honored by the National Forum to Accelerate Middle-Grades Reform, in
cooperation with the Ohio Department of Education, as a “School to
- In 2008, BMS was identified by the Ohio Department of Education as one of the top 10 middle schools in Ohio.